The COVID-19 pandemic has affected the whole world since end of 2019. Scientists have been constantly researching about the spread and cause of the virus. The virus is highly contagious and spreads most commonly with direct contact and transmission of respiratory droplets while coughing and sneezing. Anyone who is sick and not sure they have coronavirus should stay home unless higher level of medical care is is requiredgiven. This will prevent the virus from spreading.
Vaccines are rolled out as a step to prevent the virus and protect yourself and others. Along with vaccines, wearing masks and, practising good hygiene is essential.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19︖
COVID- 19 affects people in different ways, showing different symptoms from low to moderate. Most common symptoms include fever, dry cough and tiredness.
Other symptoms are:
- Aches and pain
- Sore throat
- Loss of smell and taste
- Rashes on the skin
- Discolouration of fingers and toes
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
What can you do to protect yourself from getting infected︖
The first step towards fighting corona is to spread awareness about the causes, symptoms and precautions to be taken. Everyone should strictly follow the under listed precautions to keep themselves and their family safe from getting infected.
- Wearing a mask in public areas. Properly fitted masks can prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
- Maintaining social distancing in public spaces and avoiding large gatherings.
- Avoid socializing outdoors.
- Avoid meeting people who are infected or recently recovered from corona.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Minimise touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Use tissue while sneezing and coughing and throw the tissue in the dustbin.
- Clean and sanitize frequently touched surfaces and objects daily.
- Wash your hands properly with soap and water.
- Use sanitiser that contains at least 70% alcohol.
- Open windows if indoors and choose to stay in well-ventilated places
- Get vaccinated and follow the guidance provided on vaccination.
- Use separate dishes and eating utensils from other house members.
- Wash sick person’s clothing, towels and bedding with detergents in hot water. Wear gloves while doing the laundry.
- The person who is sick should adopt complete isolation and proper medical care.
- Members of the infected family should be quarantined.
When should one consult the doctor︖
If a person has the above-mentioned symptoms and is getting sicker, immediate medical help should be taken. Tell the doctor about your symptoms so that he/she can run the test for confirming the COVID-19.
For more information and help regarding how to protect yourself from COVID-19, visit Adam Vital Hospital, Dubai and check for more updates.