Brain : A brain tumour, head injury, headache with facial pain, sleeping disorders, cerebral venous disease, stroke and epilepsy / syncope, migraine , tension headache and cluster headacheand dizziness
Spinal cord : Cervical spondylitis, compression of the spinal cord, intrinsic spinal cord diseases, lumbosacral spondylosis
Degenerative diseases : Dementia, Wilson’s disease, motor neuron disease, spinal muscular atrophies, Parkinson’s disease & movements disorders
Inflammatory diseases : Multiple sclerosis, acute disseminated encephalomyelitis, Acute transverse myelitis
Infections of the nervous system : Meningitis, Parenchyma viral infections, Encephalopathy
Nerve and muscle disorders : Neuropathy, Myopathy/Myositis, Myasthenia gravis and GBS.
Loss of Consciousness
NEUROLOGICAL TESTS AND PROCEDURES
According to the signs and symptoms of the disease, the doctor may perform some physical examinations. These tests are performed to determine muscle strength, reflexes and coordination. Several other imaging tests are performed for diagnosing the condition as different neurological diseases can have similar symptoms.
These procedures may include the undermentioned :
- Imaging Tests - Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scan, Computer Tomography (CT scan) and Positron emission tomography (PET) scan
- Lumbar Puncture : This test is performed to test your spinal fluid. The procedure involves inserting a needle into the spine after numbing it and ejecting sample spinal fluid.
- Tensilon Test : This procedure helps the neurologist to diagnose myasthenia gravis. It involves the administration of a drug called Tensilon and observation of post muscle movements
- Electromyography (EMG) : This test is performed to measure the electrical activity between the brain or spinal cord and peripheral nerve. This nerve is found in the legs and arms. This test helps in diagnosing spinal cord disorder and muscle and nerve dysfunction. The neurosurgeon may order a Nerve Conduction Velocity (NCV) test alongside EMG. EMG measures muscle activity and NCV assesses the nervous ability to send signals to the muscles. The test may take about an hour to complete and you may be asked to avoid any stimulants, like nicotine and caffeine, several hours before tests.
- Electroencephalogram (EEG) : This test is performed for measuring the electrical activities in the brain and for diagnosing conditions such as inflammation in the brain, Tumours, seizures and psychiatric disorders. Unlike EMG, an ECG does not cause any discomfort
- Other diagnostic tests may include sleep studies and angiography for determining blockages in the blood vessels connected to the brain.
Adam Vital Hospital is has the most experience neurologist in Dubai along with advanced and state of the art facility making it the leading neurological hospital where all type of simple to complex neurological disorders and conditions are treated.